Saturday, July 23, 2011

3 weeks into Motherhood

Saturday morning, 7:30am - my little guy just had a "perfect" night of sleep with three, 3.5 hours blocks, a good eat and is now dosing in my arms.....ahh, motherhood bliss :) haha, at this moment that is! It's hard to believe that I'm already 3 weeks into being a mom and raising a child! And while there have been many moments like this one that I just described, there have also been many sleep deprived, teary moments of "what in the world did we get ourselves into?!" in these past 21 days too. But I'm starting to understand and learn that this thing called parenting is about just that - being challenged and learning A LOT, while falling more and more in love with this child and treasure.
Proud Mama and her boy

It's crazy that my life has changed so dramatically from last month to this one; from what I'm researching online (I have never read so many breastfeeding articles!), how I'm sleeping (or not sleeping), my daily activities and going out, what I talk about (or maybe now, who I talk about :) Levi obviously). I've been learning that I can have joy at 3am as I try to keep my weary eyes open while feeding or soothing my little one, and that it's ok if I don't have all the answers or know how to fix every problem or cry right away....I am learning. And currently I'm learning daily to operate in more and more grace; grace for Levi when he cries and I'm still trying to decipher what each cry means, grace for Graham (who is an INCREDIBLE Dad, kissing, holding, playing and doting on our little guy and who willingly takes any middle of the night shift to relieve me) as he's learning too and transitioning into a new life too, and lastly, grace for me. At the center of my learning grace is learning how to issue it for myself - that I don't have to have everything together, know all the answers, fit into my old clothes, shower before noon and that none of that makes me a poor mom or bad example of character to anyone. Ah, Jesus, thank you that you love to issue grace and you love to journey with us as we learn, thank you that I get to do it with your Holy Spirit!! 



So at three weeks in I can truly say, even with all the adjustments that have come with life and the things I've already had to lay down, I am LOVING being a mom - especially to Levi! He is a remarkable joy!! 
Currently, two scriptures that I'm living by are these:


Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast my weakness, so that the power of Christ can work through me. - 2 Corinthians 12:9
The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning- Lamentations 3:22-23
Levi with his buddy @ 17 days old

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Alissa! What a great description of new motherhood! It stays awesome, and challenging, and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete